I was asked recently what exactly do I teach. My teaching approach has changed over the years and it’s more suited towards what a student wants, plus what I feel they should know.
My styles include Rock, Metal, Blues, Country, Classical and Jazz. I am currently playing with a Country/Country Rock/Classic Rock band called the Turbo Fuegos and we are expanding outside the Livermore club circuit to San Mateo, San Jose, Fremont, and Gilroy.
I have developed my own system for learning music. Here is some of what I offer:
- Songs (I will learn and transcribe your chosen song for you)
- Scales (Major/minor, Major Pentatonic/Minor Pentatonic, Blues scales, Diminished, whole tone)
- Chord Construction (just what goes into a G Major chord?) and to be able to find chords all over the neck
- Music reading
- Chord Progressions and Song analysis
- Picking – alternate, country plucking, and finger picking
- Heavy Metal techniques including legato and two handed tapping)
- Vibrato bar techniques (also known as Tremolo or whammy bar)
- 6 and 7 String guitar playing (7th String being a low B)
- Alternate tunings
- Finger Vibrato
It’s always nice to use whatever I’m doing in a band situation to include in my lessons. Lately I’ve been working on my “country pluckin’ hybrid style of picking. It’s called “hybrid” because some times you use your pick, some time you use your middle finger to “pluck” the string. I’ve also been using my 7 String a bit so if you’re a 7 string guitar owner, contact me for lessons.
That’s it for now!